Billy Hurley III and the MAPGA Foundation are excited to announce a new junior golf tournament, the Billy Hurley III Junior Championship. This two-day, 36-hole event will take place on July 31-Aug. 1 at the U.S. Naval Academy Golf Course.
“I am both honored and excited to partner with the MAPGA to host this junior championship,” said Hurley, winner of the PGA Tour’s 2016 Quicken Loans National. “I want to give back to the game of golf and partnering with the local PGA Section will make this event a big success.”
The Championship will feature junior golfers ages 12-18 with one boys division and one girls division.
Multiple exemptions into this tournament are listed below, but a unique aspect of the event is there will be 10 special military exemptions from military golf courses within the MAPGA region. For players who do not receive an invitation, the MAPGA will be running two open qualifiers prior to the Championship on May 20-21 and July 11.
Military families hold a special place in Hurley’s life as he served 5 years active duty as a Surface Warfare Officer which included time on a destroyer in Persian Gulf protecting Iraqi oil platforms. Hurley is also the only veteran on the PGA Tour.
“We could not be more excited to run this event in partnership with Billy Hurley III,” said Matthew Schulze, President of the Middle Atlantic PGA. “Our goal continues to be running quality junior golf tournaments in our area and having the support of a PGA Tour winner is something that will make this event extremely special.”
After round one on July 31, Hurley will be on site to interact with the players and run a free clinic. This clinic will be open to any junior that plays in the event and will include Hurley up close hitting golf balls. More information will follow on a specific time for this clinic.
Invitations for players that automatically qualify will be sent out by May 15. For more information about the Championship and to sign up for the two qualifying events please visit www.mapga.com
- May 20-21 – MAPGA Cherry Blossom – Top-5 Boys and Top-3 Girls
- July 11 – MAPGA Junior Tour at Andrews Air Force Base –Top-3 Boys 16-18, Top-3 Girls Overall
- April 13-14 – MAPGA Spring Fling – Top-10 Boys and Top-5 Girls
- 10 Military Special Exemptions
- 3 Sponsor Exemptions
- 2 Host Facility Exemptions
- Finished in the Top-20 of the Overall Boys Division at the 2017 MAPGA Junior Championship (June 29-30)
- Finished in the Top-10 of the Overall Girls Division at the 2017 MAPGA Junior Championship (June 29-30)
- Finished in the Top-15 of the Overall Boys Division at the 2017 Kingsmill Junior Championship (April 1-2)
- Finished in the Top-5 of the Overall Girls Division at the 2017 Kingsmill Junior Championship (April 1-2)