COLLEGE GOLF RESOURCES
Presenting Sponsor of the 2019 MAPGA College Golf Seminar
Our philosophy on college placement revolves around finding the “best fit” for each player and family based on their priorities in finding a school. Each player and family will have different wants and needs from an academic, athletic, social aspect.We want to educate and mentor junior golf families during the college recruiting process and provide them with the tools that will lead to the ideal fit for college, both academically and athletically.
2020 MAPGA COLLEGE GOLF SEMINAR
NCAA Division I, II, and III collegiate golf coaches as well as other College Golf Experts will attend the 10th Annual MAPGA College Golf Seminar presented by Second Nine Consulting, Saturday, February 1st at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md.
Find out more about the 2020 College Golf Seminar below.
WORDS OF WISDOM FROM THE COLLEGE GOLF SEMINAR
HOW DO WE REDUCE STRESS AND CREATE A POSITIVE RECRUITING
ENVIRONMENT FOR OUR FAMILY?
- Continue to target your “best fit” list of schools but understand this list can and
must be flexible!
- Remember to include “Reach, Reasonable and Safety” Schools.
- STAY PROACTIVE!
- Re-Evaluate often and make sure to continue communicating with all options.
- Understand the NCAA Rules
- Relax during tournament play and ENJOY THE WALK!
- Research schools at different levels and divisions – incredible opportunity
throughout all of college golf.
- What is the parents role in the process?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Overall maturity
- Positive attitude
- Resume on and off the course
- Contribution to the team and university
- Social media presence
- Reaction to adversity
- Time management skills
- Goal setting skills
- Are you a fit for the team culture?
- Are you willing to work?
- What are your goals?
- Athletics, academics or both?
- What if I don’t know what I want?
- Have the courage to explore all options at all levels.
- Ultimately, where do you want to get a degree?
- Make sure your final choice fits your needs academically, socially, spiritually, emotionally and athletically.
- There is no such thing as over communicating to a coach with pertinent questions or concerns.
- Know the NCAA rules!
- If a coach is not returning your emails or calls, move on.
- Positive support on and off the course, regardless of scores.
- Being a calm, respectful and positive role model for your son/daughter at all times.
- Don’t be the parent who “lives or dies” with every golf shot.
- Know how to talk with your kids respectfully before and after tournament play.
- Understanding the emotional and physical needs of your son/daughter.
- Do you allow this to be their journey and not yours?
IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Finding the right place to attend a college can be a daunting enough task. Adding the desire to play college golf, at the right academic institution, for the right coach with a good program, while taking into account so many other factors can make the task very uncertain and risky. With the help of Second Nine Consulting, and the advice from Coach B, the process becomes much more clear and concise.
The Second Nine Consulting program is designed to mentor talented junior golfers and their families on the recruiting process and navigating junior golf. We will aim to create a lasting impression via our mentorship on each junior that will benefit them during their junior golf career, college career and help with long term success in life “after golf.” Coach B’s 4 seasons at West Point have given him an incredible vantage point on how to develop character, leadership and discipline. During the program, Coach B will aim to impart what he has learned on each client that will hopefully lead to long term growth and development that will help in both junior and college golf.
We will take a positive, measured approach to finding the right college fit. We will work with each family to create customized priorities during their search and use industry best practices to reach our desired goals.
SECOND NINE CONSULTING TEAM
Founder and President
As a former college golf coach, player, AJGA employee and overall fanatic for the college game I am very excited to be starting Second Nine. I know that based on my 10+ years in the college golf industry that my knowledge, philosophy and network will allow me to help junior golfers and their families find their best fit for college golf.
As both a college gold coach and competitor, the golf world has been a blessing for me and I’m hoping to continue my work with young adults who share this same passion for the game and life! I look forward to any way I can help families navigate junior golf and college placement.